How was your eCommerce Christmas performance? Now that the New Year has arrived and the tinsel is down, it’s time to get back to basics and tune-up, or even rethink your Magento site design.
Here are some things to check on, including tweaks that could make all the difference:
Let’s start with clean and clear designs. It isn’t 1986. You don’t need to be wearing leg warmers, and you don’t need gimmicky website banners or features and details that are likely to irritate. Spacious, uncluttered and simple formats are much more likely to score conversions than an amateur website that looks like you’ve tried every trick in the book to impress. Less is more, so stick to value-adding elements.
- Where’s your search line? Keep it in full view. It’s one of those things that just about every eCommerce visitor will be looking for when they come to your Magento site, so don’t hide your search line away, make it really easy to find.
- Make your site amazing, not a maze. If your visitors need A-levels to find their way to your checkout you’re missing a trick. Add to cart buttons should be so intuitively well-placed that the products almost tumble into their trolleys, and your checkout page needs to be a complete no-brainer.
- Are your photos up to scratch? There’s no excuse in 2016 for online sellers not to have beautiful, clear and enticing images on their Magento store sites. Even if you’re selling paperclips or carpet underlay, you need to appeal to shoppers through their eyes, with shots that make your product aspirational and worthwhile.
- Remember; no nasty shocks. Don’t go scaring people off with unexpected delivery charges sprung on them at the last moment. Shoppers need to be gently kept in the loop about their bill as they fill their trolley.
- And finally, for now, increase communication. Have you got live chat yet? At least put your phone number online so customers can talk with a human being in real time if necessary. Even seeing the number there will put consumer minds at rest.
Design only needs to be simple to be really effective.